[syslog-ng]syslog-ng doesn't properly close file sources?

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:32:33 -0500 (EST)

Balazs Scheidler writes:

> I've checked it out by then, and it did close the file source, but after
> reinitializing the configuration. It works on Linux, but doesn't on NetBSD
> as it seems.

On NetBSD, it appears that only one process is allowed to open /dev/klog
at a time.  So syslog-ng gets a "device busy" error when reinitializing,
since it still has the file open under a different (though soon to be
closed) fd.  That's also why it worked fine with regular files when I
was testing earlier: they didn't care if they were opened twice.

> I patched my tree on my notebook to close the fd earlier, but I forgot to
> include it in 1.5.14. Here's the patch:
[...]
> you'll need scsh to rebuild the sources.

I installed scsh-0.6.0 (and scheme48-0.57 just to be on the safe side,
though I don't think that was necessary), but I'm having problems trying
to regenerate affile.c.x.  make_class uses some unusual #! escapes which
don't behave under NetBSD, so I tried using "scsh -s make_class", but that
didn't work for me either:

 $ pwd
 /usr/local/src/syslog-ng-1.5.14/src
 $ cp /pkg/libol-0.3.1/bin/make_class .
 $ scsh -s ./make_class < affile.c > affile.c.x

 Warning: use of macro doesn't match definition
          (syntax-rules '() ((let-and (expr) clause clauses ...) (and expr
 (let-and clause clauses ...))) ((let-and (name expr) clause clauses ...)
 (let ((name expr)) (and name (let-and clause clauses ...)))) ((let-and
 expr) expr))

 Error: attempt to call a non-procedure
        ('syntax-error '(#{Name let-and} ((pair? expr)) (op-matches (match #
 #)) (arg-matches (match # #)) (append op-matches arg-matches)) '#{Procedure
 2489 (unnamed in make-name-generator in names)} '#{Procedure 2486 (unnamed
 in make-keyword-comparator in names)})

--------------
BTW, here's what happens with make class:

$ uname -s -r
NetBSD 1.5.2

$ head /usr/local/bin/make_class
#!  \
-e main -s
!#

;; Reads a C source file on stdin. Comments of the form
;;
;; /*
;; CLASS:
;;    expression
;; */

$ /usr/local/bin/make_class
bash: /usr/local/bin/make_class: No such file or directory