[syslog-ng]Urgent: Mangled messages in pipe() destinations in versions >1.5.8

Borzenkov Andrey Andrey.Borzenkov@siemens.com
Sat, 28 Dec 2002 13:20:52 +0300

> > BTW it looks like syslog-ng makes writes in fixed 4096 buffer length.
> For
> > pipes it is wrong - system guarantees atomic delivery of a single write
> up
> > to PIPE_BUF; system is free to reorder parts of any single write with
> larger
> > size. Portable way to query for PIPE_BUF on modern systems is to use
> > (f)pathconf utility.
>
> I don't understand you here. You mean that chunks of data written are
> reordered, or if there is multiple write()-s to the same pipe then those
> may
> get reordered?

Eh ... sorry, I swear I have seen it somewhere but cannot find it. In those
documents I have now PIPE_BUF applies just to cases of several processes
writing to the same pipe.

So the only case it may cause a problem is when syslog-ng is not the only
one writing to pipe.

-andrey