[syslog-ng]syslog-ng fails to start if attempting to forward to unrouteable ip

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk
05 Dec 2002 14:36:25 +0000

I have a box I am testing syslog-ng v1.5.23 on - its basically a
stripped Red Hat 7.3 box with a 2.4.20 kernel.

This box talks to other stuff via an IPSec (FreeS/WAN) link.  At boot up
time, when the interfaces are originally bought up, the box has almost
no routes at all - it definitely has no default route.  Following the
syslog-ng startup the ipsec startup script runs and brings up the
tunnels incidentally providing a default route.

The syslog-ng config includes remote logging of some of the information
to a central server - seen over the IPSec links.  The destination part
of this is set as udp("1.2.3.4");

However the syslog-ng startup fails with an error - from memory it is:-
        Error creating AF_INET socket - Network is unreachable

I'm not sure if a failing destination - especially where its a
network/udp one - should kill the complete daemon startup.

Also can people suggest a route round this?

So far the best that comes to mind is to make the remote logging run via
a program which buffers anything it receives and tries repeatedly to
send it until it manages to successfully sent it - but thats quite a
hack.

	Nigel.
--
[ Nigel Metheringham           Nigel.Metheringham@InTechnology.co.uk ]