[syslog-ng]klogd and sysctl

Frank Crawford Frank.Crawford@ac3.com.au
Sat, 10 Aug 2002 22:15:44 +1000

Folks,
	One thing I noticed on eliminating klogd from my Red Hat 7.3 system
was that kernel messages were then being printed on the console.  Looking
further into it, it seems that klogd invokes a sysctl option to suppress
certain messages (in particular packet filtering messages).  The same
effect can be managed with the command:

/sbin/sysctl -n -w kernel.printk=6

on starting syslog-ng, and:

/sbin/sysctl -n -w kernel.printk=7

on shutdown.

	One other item I did to make it a total drop in was write the
pid file to /var/run/syslogd.pid, by invoking syslog-ng with:

/usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -p /var/run/syslogd.pid

(These are all items that could be in the FAQ.)

Frank Crawford

--
ac3
Suite G16, Bay 7, Locomotive Workshop   Phone:  02 9209 4600