[syslog-ng]Problem with syslogd and syslog-ng...

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 8 Aug 2002 16:36:33 +0200

On Thu, Aug 08, 2002 at 01:58:26PM +0200, BENGT OLSSON wrote:
> Hello
>
> Can some one help me with this?
>
> I have  syslog-ng running on the loggserver and syslogd on the clients
> and syslog-ng servern dosn't trig on all levels.
>
> ex.
>
> on the client(etc/syslog.conf)
>
> *.debug         @loghost
> *.info  @loghost
> #*.notice       @loghost
> #*.warning      @loghost
> #*.err                  @loghost
> #*.crit                 @loghost
> #*.alert                        @loghost
> #*.emerg                        @loghost
>
> gives 2 entries in the logfile
>
> #*.debug         @loghost
> *.info  @loghost
> #*.notice       @loghost
> #*.warning      @loghost
> #*.err                  @loghost
> #*.crit                 @loghost
> #*.alert                        @loghost
> #*.emerg                        @loghost
>
> gives zero entries in the logfile??

you should first check what kind of messages are generated.

try strace-ing the client syslogd and see whether it sends messages or not.

if you see a message using strace you should see something like this:

<number>stamp host program message...

number is a bitfield, lowest 3 bits specify the priority of the message
(debug, info, notice, warning, err, crit, alert, emerg)