[syslog-ng]syslog-ng and AIX

Ed Ravin eravin@panix.com
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:20:02 -0400 (EDT)

Gehring, Andrew     x66132 writes:
> Has anyone gotten syslog-ng to work with the SRC (System Resource
> Controller) on AIX.
>
> Since syslog-ng changes process ID after it starts up, SRC thinks it is no
> longer running...

I fixed this with sendmail many years ago by using one of the debug
options to keep the thing from forking.  My name might still be on
the AIX FAQ entry regarding this :-).  According to the syslog-ng
man page, you can stop it from forking with the "-v" option, at the
cost of some extra output messages.  I forget what happens to stderr
and stdout when you run a daemon under SRC -- can you send them to
/dev/null or the like?

It's been a long time since I worked with AIX, so if you have any
more questions, try asking on the comp.unix.aix newsgroup.

Baszi, maybe there should be an option just for preventing the fork?