[syslog-ng]SMP RH7.1

Carson Gaspar carson@taltos.org
Fri, 07 Sep 2001 11:26:52 -0700

--On Wednesday, September 05, 2001 10:34 PM +0200 Balazs Scheidler
<bazsi@balabit.hu> wrote:

> syslog-ng uses a single thread and non-blocking i/o, adding additional
> processors if the box doesn't do anything else is wasted.

Maybe. It all depends on your kernel. I can state with some authority that
it would _not_ be wasted under Solaris 8, if you had high volumes of data.
Having an additional CPU for the kernel to do network and disk I/O frees up
a lot of CPU time for syslog-ng to do its thing.

Now, adding a 3rd or 4th CPU may or may not improve things, but 2 is a good
idea.

But Linux SMP isn't very good, so your milage may vary.

--
Carson Gaspar - carson@taltos.org
Queen Trapped in a Butch Body