[syslog-ng]self-defined facility/priority?

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Tue, 4 Sep 2001 15:34:22 -0600

On Tue, Sep 04, 2001 at 08:21:18PM +0200, Sander wrote:
> The official facility/priority can, as far as I know, not simply be
> extended. You can log to pipe from your own scripts an programs, so
> that will in some way provide with your own 'facility' (the facility
> being the name of the pipe) and the priority being in the message.

This is correct.  The facilites local0 through local7 are there to allow
you to "create" your own facility.  You might also want to use the program
matching functionality of syslog-ng to fake a new facility.

That said, I have "added" syslog facilities of IRIX, Linux, and BSD
specific facilities (Solaris runs my log host machines, so Solaris's
facilities are the "correct" ones).  These additions where in the
range of (9<<3) and (15<<3).

src/syslog-names.c is the file you want to play with.

These added facilities may not work if the OS is handling the syslog
messages (/dev/log or the IPC Door for syslog), but they will for log
messages whos source is the network.  My situation was I only really
wanted these facilities for non Solaris machines logging over the
network so I was happy.  Your mileage may vary.

   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)