[syslog-ng]deleting log files - syslog-ng

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 17:37:16 +0200

On Fri, Oct 26, 2001 at 11:11:56AM +0200, Thomas Kaehn wrote:
> Hello,
>
> is it possible that I have to restart syslog-ng, when deleting
> a log file? I log from different hosts to different files using
> $HOST in the config-file. If I delete one file of them it is not
> created until restarting syslog-ng. Is it possible to change
> this behaviour.

open files are reaped after a specific time interval if no new messages are
written to it. So if your time_reap() is 60 seconds, and a new message pops
up within this 60 seconds, then the file is not closed.

to force reopening the file you might try sending a -HUP signal to
syslog-ng, it'll drop TCP connections (can be changed with the keep-alive()
option), but not local AF_UNIX connections, and also reopens all files.