[syslog-ng]Can't background syslog-ng

Andrew Dixon andrew.dixon@seranoa.com
Tue, 02 Oct 2001 14:32:04 -0400

Andrew Dixon wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm trying to get syslog-ng-1.5.10 up under a Linux system running on a
> powerpc.  I can compile without errors and if I run:
>         #syslog-ng -F
>         syslog-ng version ` starting
>         7
>
> so that syslog-ng doesn't background itself it works fine.  When I try
> to back ground it though it fails:
>         #syslog-ng -d
>         io.c: Preparing fd 268600320 for io.c: Preparing fd 0 for reading
>         syslog-ng version ` starting
>         7gc_mark: Marking object of class '8!' (1)
>         !’ųąSegmentation fault
>
> Has anyone else come across this?  I straced syslog-ng and it complained
> about "Inappropriate ioctl for device" but I'm not sure which device
> it's trying to manipulate.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated and if anyone else is running
> syslog-ng on a PPC Linux system it'd be nice that it is possible.

OK.  Just figured out a "fix" for this problem.  If you start syslog-ng
from inittab instead of the rc scripts you don't want it to background
itself because init is its parent process and you don't want it to
separate itself from init.  So a line like this:

sl:2345:respawn:/sbin/syslog-ng -F

in inittab does the trick.

later,
Andy