[syslog-ng]setting up a loghost on AIX - please help!!

Sippel, Christian Christian.Sippel@izb.de
Mon, 19 Nov 2001 14:34:54 +0100

Dear list,
I'm trying to set up an AIX-machine as a loghost by using syslog-ng but I
can't get syslog-ng working, so I would be very thankful if you could give
me some hints.

After downloading, compiling and installing libol and syslog-ng on the
AIX-machine that should be used as a loghost I wrote the following
syslog-ng.conf file in the /etc/syslog-ng direcoty:

source src {
        unix-dgram("/dev/log");
        tcp(ip(1.5.19.253) port(514));
        udp(ip(1.5.19.253) port(514));
        internal();

};

destination test { file("/var/adm/log/test-ng.log"); };

log { source(src); destination(test); };
};

the client machine (also AIX, internal ip-adress 1.5.19.253 ) is running the
standard syslogd, in the /etc/syslog.conf is the line:

local2.info                     @dmz-loghost

and the /etc/hosts contains the line

1.34.20.20      dmz-loghost

sending a log-message with logger -plocal2.info with standard syslog to the
loghost works fine (so port 514 should be open) but the file specified in
syslog-ng.conf does not contain anything.

I really would appreciate if you could give me some hints what I did wrong,

Christian Sippel