[syslog-ng]Re: Level/Priority of 'none'

Denis Doublet denis.doublet@morse.com
Fri, 2 Nov 2001 09:07:25 +0100

-----Message d'origine-----
De : Brad Stockdale [mailto:bradsprt@greenepa.net]
Envoyé : vendredi 2 novembre 2001 02:09
À : syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Objet : [syslog-ng]Re: Level/Priority of 'none'

Hello all,

    I'm a newbie to syslog-ng, and am trying to convert our local servers
from sysklogd to syslog-ng... I'm having a bit of a problem, though... I
might just be blind to the answer of this question, though... It seems
pretty simple...

    In the syslog.conf file that is currently in place (the default redhat
one), there's a line that reads:

>*.info;mail.none;news.none;authpriv.none                /var/log/messages

    Seems logical...

    How do I do the same thing in syslog-ng?
Try
destination d_local { file("/var/adm/messages/"); };

filter no_mail { not facility(mail); };
filter no_news { not facility(news); };
filter no_authpriv { not facility(authpriv); };
filter info { level(info .. emerg); };

log { source(s_local); filter no_mail; filter no_news; filter no_authpriv;
filter info; destination(d_local); };

The syslog.conf manpages state:

>The keyword none stands for no priority of the given facility.

    So, if I'm understanding this right, syslog was receiving a facility
name, but no level/priority setting? And this mapped to "none."

i.e :
filter f_critical      { level(crit .. emerg) or
                         facility(syslog); };

Does this help you?

    Does syslog-ng provide a similar thing?

    Or do these daemons really send out the facility and level/priority,
but it's some default one?

    Thanks for any help in advance... I'm sure this is an easy thing to
fix, but just don't know the internals of syslog or syslog-ng very well
yet... I've always just used the default configuration and left things
alone...

Thanks in advance,
Brad