[syslog-ng]Syslog-NG Performance

Nate Campi nate@campi.cc
Fri, 30 Mar 2001 11:34:29 -0800

On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 12:37:07PM -0500, Scott, Joshua wrote:
> I plan on using 1 server with Syslog-ng to maintain all of the log files for
> my firewalls.  I want to make sure I don't overload this server.  This
> server is a PIII 800Mhz with 512MB ram.  At this point the amount of data
> I'll be sending to syslog-ng will be approx 2GB daily.  Can anyone tell me
> how what experiences they've had with this type of scenario?  Is there a
> limit to the amount of devices syslog-ng can handle?

My central linux loghost handles about 50-60 hosts and usually the total transfer is about 500 megs/day, but when the mail server freaked out once I received over 2 gigs from one host in a matter of hours. Syslog-ng never had any trouble - but ext2fs stopped logging when the individual logfiles hit 2 gigs ;)

I'd say you'll be fine.
--
	Nate