[syslog-ng]Syslog Chaining doesn't work as expected

Wiktor Wodecki wodecki@wapme-systems.de
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 13:05:10 +0100

Hey Gregor,

Gregor Binder wrote:
> > I've got a problem with chaining syslog messages. Basically I try to
> > forward syslog messages via a host to our loggingserver, but the
> > loggingserver doesn't get that's it's from an other host and not the
> depending on how your systems are configured, you might get good
> results with turning keep_hostname on if that's an option.

nope, that didn't do it, it still writes logs with canonical name and
not the fqdn.

> > same name but with different fqdn's I can't use that. Since I've turned
> > on logn_hostnames and use_fqdn I'm a bit curious what to do. Is this a
> > bug or did I miss an option in the docs? All hosts are in /etc/hosts on
> > the Loggingserver and all three machines use current stable release
> > 1.4.11.
>
> - Is your resolver configured properly? (nsswitch.conf) or

yes

> - Do you use FQDNs in /etc/hosts?

yes, on LOGGINGSERVER, not on GATESERVER

> - What syslog-ng options are you using on the GATESERVER?

options { long_hostnames(yes); sync(2); use_dns(yes); use_fqdn(yes);
create_dirs(yes); log_fifo_size(1000); time_reopen(2);
chain_hostnames(yes); keep_hostname(yes); };

I jsut played around with setting keep_hostname on and off on various
places and combinations with other settings (I didn't knew that setting
before, it's only mentioned in an example setup in the docs, so I didn't
find it before) but there's still the same result.

--
Regards,

Wiktor Wodecki, Unix Administration | Wapme-Systems AG
Tel.: +49-211-748450 | Muensterstrasse 248
Fax: +49-211-74845176 | 40470 Duesseldorf
E-Mail: wodecki@wapme-systems.de | http://www.wapme-systems.de
1024/E22253B9 084C 7950 4D65 0E92 46D1 48AF F3F7 3201 E222 53B9