[syslog-ng]1.4.11 fixes SIGHUP problems?

Chris Pile cpile@snoogans.co.uk
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:08:28 +0000

Bazsi,

Really sorry for not giving any feedback, I could have sworn I replied
before.  Thanks for fixing the bug, guess the backtrace was useful.

I have been monitoring syslog-ng and it does seems fine, although it
does return two different messages to /var/log/messages:
Mar 16 01:00:03 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:00:13 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:00:23 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:00:33 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:00:44 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:00:55 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:01:06 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:01:17 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:01:28 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:01:39 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:01:49 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized
Mar 16 01:02:00 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:02:11 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:02:22 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:02:33 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: Initializing new
configuration failed, reverting to old config.
Mar 16 01:02:44 src@lumberjack syslog-ng[5762]: new configuration
initialized

I assume this is more of an error on my part (I may have a dodgy config)
but it is strange that sometimes it says "new configuration initialized"
and other times it says "Initializing new configuration failed,
reverting to old config.".

I've also set a crontab to run every minute (overkill I know) just to
check that syslog-ng is running and has not died.  Everything seems fine
since I installed the updated version of syslog-ng:
Fri Mar 16 01:00:00 2001: syslog-ng is running, newsyslog is running.
All ok.
Fri Mar 16 01:01:00 2001: syslog-ng is running, newsyslog is running.
All ok.
Fri Mar 16 01:02:00 2001: syslog-ng is running, newsyslog is running.
All ok.
Fri Mar 16 01:03:00 2001: syslog-ng is running, newsyslog is running.
All ok.

All the above output is produced while newsyslog is rotating the
logfiles.  Therefore it is newsyslog that sends SIGHUP.

Chris.