[syslog-ng]program() destination

Maciek Pasternacki maciekp@japhy.fnord.org
Thu, 1 Mar 2001 14:21:51 +0100

--VywGB/WGlW4DM4P8

John_Delisle@ceridian.ca pressed following keys:
>I've found a way to send the message to an email address. It's a bit of a
>hack, but..  Basically you output your log to a file, and have a cron job
>that watches for that file, emails its contents, and deletes it.  I'm using
>it to email a pager.
>
>1- Configure your source line properly for the type of log you are catching
>2 - Add a destination file rule
>3 - Add a filter to filter for what you're looking for
>4 - Add a log with above source, filter, and destination
>5 - Install this script in /usr/bin or wherever
>6 - Add a cron job such as the example that follows

Well, somewhat kludgy... I don't want to spawn a new process every five
minutes and I want to have one process running without breaks (counter, whi=
ch
will warn me if it sees something unusual and a summary at midnight).  If
syslog-ng (theoretically) provides such way of logging (one process, staying
in memory, which gets all logs on stdin), I want to get it to work.  Maybe a
fifo somewhere would be a good workaround, but it is also a kludge.

Ah, I'd forgot: I use syslog-ng 1.4.11

>John Delisle
>Corporate Technology
>Ceridian Canada Ltd