[syslog-ng]separating logs by hostname

A.L.Lambert alambert@manisec.com
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 12:21:50 -0500 (CDT)

> I keep reading that syslog-ng has the capability to divert into
> different log files based on hostname.  I'm doing this with an older
> version by manually specifying for each machine as shown below.  I'd
> like to avoid mucking with the config file every time we add or remove
> a machine (all the time).  I've downloaded 1.5.7, but can't find any
> examples of this.  Is there a simple way to do this or do I need to
> just add an entry for every new host?
>
> filter f_shaggy { host(shaggy); };
> destination d_shaggy { file("/var/syslog-ng/shaggy"); };
> log { source(src);
>    filter(f_shaggy);
>    destination(d_shaggy);
> };

destination d_auto { file("/var/syslog-ng/$HOST"); };

	If I recall correctly. :)  I forget where, but somewhere in the
documentation is a list of all the allowed variables.  You can also use
this feature in conjunction with "create_dirs(on);" to build directory
trees like "/var/syslog-ng/$YEAR/$MONTH/$DAY/$HOST/$FACILITY.$PRIORITY"
etc.

	Cheers!

--
A.L.Lambert