[syslog-ng]newbie Solaris question

Hamilton, Andrew Mr RAYTHEON 5 SIG CMD HamiltonA@hq.5sigcmd.army.mil
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 06:56:52 +0200

What do you mean you can't get it to output every message it receives?  I
have used syslog-ng on Solaris for 2 years with very few problems and I log
over 1000 devices.  Do you know if it is receiving messages?  You're not
running syslogd as well are you?  In low volumes the defaults for garbage
collection should be sufficient.  How many hosts are you logging?  Try
setting sync(0).

Regards,
Drew

-----Original Message-----
From: T. Esting [mailto:T_Esting@excite.com]
Sent: Tuesday, June 12, 2001 6:16 PM
To: syslog-ng@lists.balabit.hu
Subject: [syslog-ng]newbie Solaris question

  I've been trying to get both 1.4.11 and 1.5.7 to run on my Solaris system,
and have met with limited success.  Compiling and installing were fairly
easy, as was creating a configuration file.  I understand from the docs that
the mark() feature still doesn't work, and from the mailing list that
sync_freq() should actually be sync().  I am having trouble, however, with
flushing output in low-volume scenarios.  Here is the configuration file I
am using:

options {
        use_dns(no);
        log_fifo_size(XXX);
        gc_idle_threshold(YYY);
        gc_busy_threshold(ZZZ);
        use_time_recvd(yes);
        };

source sun {
        sun-streams ( "/dev/log" door("/etc/.syslog_door"));
        internal();
};

destination testout {
        file ( "/var/adm/testout.txt" sync(WWW));
} ;

log {   source (sun);
        destination (testout);
};

I've tried various values for WWW, XXX, YYY, and ZZZ, even setting WWW to 1.
I have not been able to influence syslog-ng to write out every message it
receives.  Does anyone have any pointers on what I might want to try next to
get syslog-ng to more reliably receive and log messages on Solaris?

  Thanks.