[syslog-ng]destination X { program(); }; and security

Gregor Binder gb@rootnexus.net
Wed, 6 Jun 2001 19:30:33 +0200

John I on Wed, Jun 06, 2001 at 06:04:17PM +0100:

John,

> How about not even using program(), instead sending it to a destination
> that is a fifo (named pipe) and a program that listens to your fifo.

you're absolutely right, but this has some drawbacks. First, you'll have
to make sure your program is running as well (one more thing to worry
about), and you'll have to configure the filename in two places vs. just
using STDIN in your script. That would probably be managable though :)

> This would at least save the overhead of loading the program called by
> program() every time a log is sent that way.

Well, this overhead doesn't exist (see further up in this thread) because
program is only started once. And it is terminated when syslog-ng
terminates.

Regards,

--
 ____ ____
/  _/| -  >  Gregor Binder <gb@(rootnexus.net|sysfive.com)>
| / || _\ \
\__ Id: 0xE2F31C4B Fp: 8B8A 5CE3 B79B FBF1 5518 8871 0EFB AFA3 E2F3 1C4B