[syslog-ng]Feature Request

David Douthitt ssrat@mailbag.com
Wed, 06 Jun 2001 10:13:19 -0500

Let me say first that this is a fantastic piece of software - I'm
starting to implement it in our UNIX environment.  It's almost TOO
powerful :-)  But that is a Good Thing.

I don't THINK this is in the current sources, but anyway....

I'd like to have some serious debugging available in the logs ... for
example, right now we get:

syslog-ng[99]: Syntax error reading config file, using old
configuration

...and this is all you know.  To actually find out the error, you have
to run syslog-ng from the command line.  Then testing gets complicated
as you attempt to restart the active syslog-ng while finding out what
the syntax errors are by running it at the command line.  Wouldn't be
better to do the following:

syslog-ng[99]: Syntax error in configuration file /etc/syslog-ng.conf
at line 45
syslog-ng[99]: Retaining old configuration

Also, messages like these would be nice for debugging purposes:

syslog-ng[99]: Message from source(src) received: level auth.info
syslog-ng[99]: Log #1: filter not matched
syslog-ng[99]: Log #2: filter not matched
syslog-ng[99]: Log #3: filter not matched
syslog-ng[99]: Log #4: filter f_authonly matched
syslog-ng[99]: Log #4: log used
syslog-ng[99]: Log #5: filter not matched
syslog-ng[99]: Log #6: source not matched

...and so on.

It would even be nice to be able to send a SIGINT or a SIGUSR1 or a
SIGUSR2 to the running syslog to manipulate the debugging messages
similar to BIND.