[syslog-ng]AIX and repeated message formats - fix?

David Douthitt ssrat@mailbag.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 16:10:23 -0500

Balazs Scheidler wrote:

> > I'm also receiving messages of the form:
> >
> >     "above message repeats _n times"
> >
> > I suspect this is coming from Red Hat of some derivation as that is
> > what we have around here, with the exception of the HP-UX boxes - but
> > I don't think they do that.
> >
> > Is there any way the code can artificially insert a hostname into
> > these?  Perhaps the message text can be put into a list in a file, and
> > the code can determine who the network connection is coming from, and
> > add the appropriate hostname to it.  Or perhaps it could do this
> > automatically to every message: if the hostname is missing, add it.
>
> syslog-ng adds the hostname to messages automatically unless you turn this
> behaviour off by setting keep_hostname() to yes.

Trouble with this is, then messages coming from other hosts
(especially syslog-ng hosts) will be of the form:

<host1> <host2> <host3> "message"

...wouldn't it be possible for syslog-ng to take messages like:

"above message repeats 3 times"
"last message repeated 5 times"
"serverx: ftpd[999]: FTP LOGIN"

(assuming all from "serverx") and make sure that ALL of them start
(once and only once) with "serverx:"?