[syslog-ng]AIX and repeated message formats - fix?

David Douthitt ssrat@mailbag.com
Mon, 04 Jun 2001 10:22:54 -0500

Jon Marks wrote:

> Earlier I posted a message asking about whether syslog-ng had standard
> equipment for dealing with a couple of strange message types:
>
> 1) Messages forwarded by AIX syslogd which contain the string
>
>    "Message forwarded from [hostname]: " ...
>
> and
>
> 2) Messages of the form:
>
>    "last message repeated _n times"

I'm also receiving messages of the form:

    "above message repeats _n times"

I suspect this is coming from Red Hat of some derivation as that is
what we have around here, with the exception of the HP-UX boxes - but
I don't think they do that.

Is there any way the code can artificially insert a hostname into
these?  Perhaps the message text can be put into a list in a file, and
the code can determine who the network connection is coming from, and
add the appropriate hostname to it.  Or perhaps it could do this
automatically to every message: if the hostname is missing, add it.