[syslog-ng]syslog-ng forwarding logs over TCP.

Ramji Chandramouli ramji@aventail.com
Fri, 27 Jul 2001 01:49:18 +0000

Hi,
I'm new to using syslog-ng as well as this mailing list.  I'm
particularly interested in the syslog-ng feature of forwarding logs over
TCP.    I think the version of syslog-ng I'm using is 1.4.10.

The following is a scenario in which I'm having a log-forwarding
problem.
I have set up syslog-ng to forward logs over TCP to a server syslog-ng
on a remote machine.
Sometime during the log-forwarding, if the server syslog-ng dies for
some unexpected reason, I find that the client syslog-ng does not
recognize right away that the connection has been dropped.
In fact, if there is a message, message #1, to be forwarded after the
server syslog-ng has died, the client syslog-ng forwards message #1 and
does not recognize that the connection is not alive.  It is only when a
second message, message #2, is to be forwarded that the client syslog-ng
recognizes the error and I see a "io.c: do_write: write() failed".  The
problem is that when the server syslog-ng is brought back up, only
message #2 is sent to the server syslog-ng.  message #1 never gets to
the server syslog-ng.

Has this problem been already addressed in the subsequent versions ?

Thanks.