[syslog-ng]$HOST trouble.

Alex Goldberg aladdin@compugen.co.il
Wed, 18 Jul 2001 14:48:14 +0200

Hi.

I did a simple setup of syslog-ng 1.4.10 to log all remote messages
based on hostname/facility.priority.:

source s_udp { udp(); };
destination d_all { file("/var/logng/$HOST/$FACILITY.$PRIORITY"); };
log { source(s_sys) ; source(s_udp) ; destination(d_all); };

The problem is that when some progs log in non-stnadart format , I get a
directory structure  that looks like:

>ls
Thanks ?<Quantum ?<Sony ?Cmd ?Disconnected ?Generic
?Rev. ?SCSI ?pkt_flags=0x0 ?pkt_scbp=0x0  > CU Copyright Covered In
Other San _

and inside there will be a file with correct facility.priority name
containing the remaining part of a message.

Is there any way to use IP address of a source with DNS lookups , and
not what source computers sends in a log message?