[syslog-ng]From Linux to Solaris

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Mon, 9 Jul 2001 09:27:32 -0600

On Mon, Jul 09, 2001 at 10:07:16AM -0400, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:
> Hello:
>
> I'm in the process of moving logging from a linux box to a solaris 2.6
> box.  Can someone who's done similar point out any caveats of doing so?
> Will I only need to enable a new source for door?  Are kernel messages
> still handled by /proc/kmesg?

Kernel logging, or rather kernel log messages are placed in /dev/log
and /etc/.syslog_door just like all other syslog messages.

log(7d) has the hideous details if you are really interested.

One thing you might notice (and care about) are the different log
facilities on Linux and Solaris (look at each syslog.h to see the
difference).  Syslog-ng will happily deal with all messages comming
in, just be aware that some might not have a facility name, and there
for only be handled by priority or other non facility mechanism.

The best example I can think of is authpriv.  It doesn't exist under
Solaris (7 and lower atleast).  I placed a #define in the syslog-ng
source code to handle this (auth-priv uses a facility number that is
undefined under Solaris, so there is no harm; that I have noticed).
   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)