[syslog-ng]Log Stopage

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Sun, 8 Jul 2001 13:39:28 -0600

On Sun, Jul 08, 2001 at 02:05:29PM -0400, Gorm Jensen wrote:
> After upgrading from RH6.1 and syslog-ng-1.4.2 to RH7.1 and
> syslog-ng-1.4.11, only the first hit of a series of hits on the firewall is
> logged.  Restarting the daemon will cause the next hit to be logged, but no
> more than that.  Only the logging of firewall hits is effected.
>
> After a great deal of trial and error, I traced the problem to a specific
> destination in the configuration file. I have attached two verions (Linux
> text and MS.txt) of the config file.  To simplify the configuraton for
> testing, I deleted several other log destinations, filters and actions.  The
> anomaly persisted, even with the simplified configuration.
>
> When the lines containing the destination 'whodat' are commented out,
> logging proceeds as expected.  When the comments are aranged to include
> either one of the lines containing the whodat destination, the logging
> reverts to what is described in para one.
>
> Can anyone tell what is required to fix the problem?

> # -------- SOURCES ---------------
> source src { unix-stream("/dev/log"); internal(); file("/proc/kmsg"); };
> 	#source net { udp(); };

You aren't by any chance running klogd?  If so, that is probably the source
of you problems.

Others on the list have reported blocking issues with syslog-ng and
klogd reading from /proc/kmsg.  The solution is to either let klogd handle
your kernel logging or to not run klogd.

PS IPTables is in the kernel.
   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)