[syslog-ng](OT) routers and host matching

Brian E. Seppanen seppy@chartermi.net
Tue, 27 Feb 2001 15:45:07 -0500 (EST)

Hi:

Sort of off topic, but someone here might be more familiar with this
situation.

I monitor several routers with syslog-ng on a central host.  One problem
I'm facing is that I want to redirect logs dependent upon the router to
different files.  This works well, but I have one problem.  We do not use
DNS to resolve names, and we match upon host IP's.  The problem is that
the routers have several possible IP's and I'm finding that more and
more often that I don't have a filter defined for certain IP's.  My
syslog-ng config is already a god awful mess and I'm hoping that I'm being
short sighted and that there is a solution to my quandry.  Is it possible
to have the router log via one interface and therefore guarantee a host IP
match?

Has anyone found a way to work around this?  I'd really appreciate any
insight.
thanks,

Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications
Regional Data Center				906-228-4226 ext 23
Marquette, MI					seppy@chartermi.net