[syslog-ng]syslog-ng performance problem

Santiago =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=03=F3mez?= Cano santiago.gomez@tiscalinet.es
13 Feb 2001 12:16:14 +0100

Hi

I'm using the syslog-ng 1.40rc3-3 deb package running on a Debian
GNU/Linux box collectin logs from 3 different web serves.

When starting the syslgog-ng daemon it begins using a reasonable CPU
amount (about 2 or 4%), sleeping most of the time and running when
someone access our web pages and the logging server receives logs from
the web servers. The CPU usage increases to 5 or 6% after one hour
running and keeps on growing up to saturate the server with a 99.99% CPU
usage about two or three ours after the start.

I think the server has enough CPU and memory resources (Pentium III 650
with 1Gb RAM) to handle the logs incoming from the web servers as it
works fine at the beginning without loosing messages and the performace
decreases progressively instead of from the beginning. I think I could
solve the problem with the appropiate gc_idle_threshold() and
gc_busy_threshold() settings (now I using the default values), but I'm
not sure if it would be the solution and in this case I don't know how
to calculate the right values for these para meters.

Any advice?

--
Santiago Gómez Cano
Systems Administrator / Administrador de Sistemas