[syslog-ng]mark() option?

Bradley Hartin bhartin@straus-frank.com
Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:19:23 -0600 (CST)

On Wed, 19 Dec 2001, Todd Snyder wrote:

> A bit of an operations question, but one I've never found an answer to ..
>
> what is the purpose of ---MARK---?  I know it just fills up my logs, but I
> never really understood why I'd want that ...
>
> Suggestions?  What do other people use it for?

It's useful for catching a hung system, or at least diagnosing when a
problem such as that occured.  In my case, I'll have over 130 systems
going centrally, most of which will generate very little log activity
outside normal business hours.  This will help me gauge the quality of our
communication lines and system dependability.

--
Bradley Hartin - bhartin@straus-frank.com
Communications and Network Administrator