[syslog-ng]syslog-ng and irix

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:09:59 -0700

On Wed, Dec 05, 2001 at 02:54:46PM -0600, gkuchta@astro.umn.edu wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if syslog-ng does, or at any point will, support taking
> logs from non syslog-ng daemons.  I've poked around the documentation
> and the mailing list, but I didn't see this mentioned anywhere.  Our
> department has a few old irix machines that graduate students run
> Fortran code on, and we'd like to forward logs from these machines to
> our new syslog-ng server.  I played with the idea for about 30minutes
> earlier today, but couldn't get anything going.  Is this possible?
> Will it be?

We have old and new irix machines, Linux, Windows, and Solaris
machines running a mixture (which is becomming more and more
syslog-ng) of syslogd and syslog-ng.  At one point we had NetBSD in
the picture as well.

All log without any difficulty to syslog-ng (running under Solaris).
I even went through the trouble of adding the special IRIX, BSD, and
Linux facilities to the Solaris build.  This lets AUTHPRIV (Linux),
AUDIT(IRIX), SECURITY(BSD), CONSOLE(BSD) and LFMT(IRIX) be recognized
rather than being dumped into your catch all log file (messages
usually).
   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(_)