[syslog-ng]time_reopen, continuous reconnects, and syslog-ng 1.4.10 - 1.4.12.

matthew.copeland@honeywell.com matthew.copeland@honeywell.com
Thu, 16 Aug 2001 14:07:29 +0000 (UTC)

> > I just don't like the idea of having to login to 250 systems just to HUP
> > the syslog-ng process.  Even if I can script it.
>
> This is a bug I didn't have time to track down. As it seems syslog-ng tries
> to reconnect after connection failure, and sometimes after a successful
> connection establishment just stops sending data, and also stops trying to
> reconnect. Reading the source didn't reveal any information, and I couldn't
> reproduce the problem myself.

Here is how I reproduce the problem.  It happens everytime when I do
this.  Unfortunately, it requires about 20 minutes or so.  :)

On client syslog-ng, fire up syslog-ng with --debug with the config
	pointing to the server.
On server syslog-ng, fire up syslog-ng with --debug.

use a little test program to generate some data.  The one I have been
using is

#!/usr/bin/perl

local($i) = 0;
while(1)
{
	print "The number is ", $i, "\n";
	$i++;
}

Now, try it out to make sure that you get a connection and that data goes
through.  Kill the test program.  Reach around the back of your
computer (laptop in my case) and disconnect the computer from the
network.  Fire up the test program.  Wait until you get the message saying
"Connection broken, reopening in %i seconds", where %i is the reopen
time.  Wait until after that reopen attempt should have gone through.  (In
my case, I have reopen set to 30, so I wait more than 30 seconds.)  Now,
reconnect the client to the network.  Bingo, no data until you HUP the
process to get it to reconnect.

Matthew M. Copeland