[syslog-ng]Re: syslog-ng's memory footprint growing constantly

Craig J Constantine craig@ot.com
Fri, 3 Aug 2001 08:33:34 -0400

...on 8/2/01 1:47 PM, the following was received from bazsi@balabit.hu

>> >ok, we have some kind of string leak. what does "hosts.org_dir" in
>> >your environment mean? is it a directory which syslog-ng creates,
>> >or a filename? or some part of some message?
>>
>> I have no idea. :) That string isn't in my syslog-ng config, nor
>> *anywhere* in the syslogs recorded by syslog-ng today, nor even
>> anywhere in the syslog-ng distribution. Might be just a lot over
>> strings overlayed in memory... very weird.
>
>I found hosts.org_dir, it's in the file /lib/libnss_nisplus.so, so I assume
>you are using nisplus. syslog-ng resolves a lot of hostnames, isn't it
>possible that nisplus is leaking somewhere?
>
>I've never ran syslog-ng with a computer using nisplus, that might be an
>explanation why others didn't encounter this bug.

BINGO! NIS+ is the culprit... I adjusted the resolver library setup to
not use NIS at all for host resolution. I Restarted my original,
non-debugging syslog-ng yesterday afternoon. 12 hours later, it's still a
tiny little program just like it should be. :)

Thanks Balazs for your help!

-Craig