[syslog-ng]Syslog Logging Delay

Brian E. Seppanen seppy@chartermi.net
Thu, 5 Apr 2001 07:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

On Mon, 2 Apr 2001, Brian E. Seppanen wrote:

> My logging worked just fine this entire weekend without any problems,
> after I disabled the /proc/kmesg source.  Any ideas on what might be
> causing syslog-ng to not like receiving kernel messages?  I'm running
> redhat-7.0 with linux-2.2.16-22enterprise, which provides SMP support.  We
> recently upgraded this from a single processor box to a dual processor
> box.  Any chance that could affect this?

Does anyone have any recommendations?  I really like using syslog-ng.  I
don't want to ditch everything I've put into it.  I'd rather not have to
ignore kernel messages to continue to use it though.  I'm not going to be
able to get any more info than I've already provided.  Doing a strace
with debugging eventually +end up with it hanging while reading on file
descriptor three which is :

COMMAND     PID USER   FD   TYPE     DEVICE    SIZE    NODE NAME
syslog-ng 11791 root    3r   REG        0,1       0       5 /proc/kmsg

I don't get any further information from it to indicate where the problem
might be.  In fact I left it going all last night.  It stopped on fd3
again, no further details.   Not only that, but SSH quit responding as I
had started the strace over an SSH connection.  I tried logging in via
console and my logins would time out.  Other processes continued to work
as expected.   Graphs don't show any extraordinary info.  Got to my
workstation ended the strace, and I can SSH and login again.

I've run it for days without problems but only when not logging kernel
messages. Once I re-enable kernel messages it starts dying.  I don't
believe I had this problem before so I think I might downgrade from
1.4.11 back to 1.4.10.

Brian Seppanen
Charter Communications
Regional Data Center				906-228-4226 ext 23
Marquette, MI					seppy@chartermi.net