[syslog-ng]chain_hostname(yes) complicates use of $HOST variable

John A. Parker jap54@cornell.edu
Mon, 18 Sep 2000 10:47:58 -0400

--=====================_513843224==_.ALT

Baszi,

I've noticed that chain_hostname and chain_hostnames have been used
interchangeably in some of our communications. (Singular in your last note,
plural in the manual.) Without a reference to keep_hostname in the manual,
I somehow made the option plural in the syslog-ng.conf file. When I changed
it to singular the parse error went away and the logs started looking like
you've described below. Thanks for the extra detail.

However, I guess I'm still not sure how "server" becomes "src@", "Message",
or "last" on my server? Messages like
"Sep 18 10:38:04 Message forwarded from hostname:" where the hostname is
the system short name and the field typically populated by a FQDN now have
Message. Have I something configured incorrectly?

>So if you have a message which has hostname "server", and which resolves to
>"server2", the following happens:
>
>                                 keep_hostname(yes)      keep_hostname(no)
>chain_hostname(yes)     server                  server/server2
>chain_hostname(no)              server                  server2

---

John A. Parker        Senior Programmer/Analyst - AIX      Cornell University
jap54@cornell.edu   607-255-9356  607-255-8521 (Fax)