[syslog-ng]Solaris 2.6 Sources?

John A. Parker jap54@cornell.edu
Wed, 13 Sep 2000 10:16:44 -0400

--=====================_80155931==_.ALT

I've installed syslog-ng 1.4.5 on a Solaris system and am having trouble
"seeing" messages I know are arriving from remote CISCO devices on the
local7 facility. (Or even messages via logger -p local7.whatever.)

The source statement I have in syslog-ng.conf is:

source stdlog { sun-streams("/dev/log" door("/etc/.syslog_door"));
internal(); };

(This is as suggested in the INSTALL file provided with the package, except
for the addition of the internal clause, the inclusion of which makes no
difference in the way syslog-ng is performing.)

I have a number of filters, destinations, and log clauses, with some
messages "log"ged more than once. (This multiple logging practice seems to
work fine on our AIX server.)

If I ignore all of the filters and simply log all output to
/var/adm/messages, it would appear all messages EXCEPT those coming in on
the local7 facility (we're also looking for local0 and local1 messages, but
I have not verified any have occurred and that therefore syslog-ng is or is
not handling those as well) go to the messages file.

Is there something special I should be doing on a Solaris system (a realm
WAY outside my experience base) to include local7 logs? Is there a
modification to the above source statement that is required for messages
from external devices?

Thanks!

---

John A. Parker        Senior Programmer/Analyst - AIX      Cornell University
jap54@cornell.edu   607-255-9356  607-255-8521 (Fax)