[syslog-ng]Buffering to a program.

Mahlon Smith reich@internetcds.com
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 15:04:52 -0700 (PDT)

My eventual goal is to have one 'logging server', receiving logs from all
of the other servers around here, and parsing/pushing them into a mysql
database.

I've got the general topology setup and working - and a perlscript that
syslog-ng is pumping the logs to - which in turn is doing the mysql
writing.

Working fine, except I'd like to control the amount of buffering before it
hits the perl program.   I have '$| = 1;' in my perl prog, so perl isn't
doing the buffering.. it's gotta be syslog-ng.

sync(0) is set - and appears to work fine to flat files - just not to a
forked program.

In fact, I don't really even see it start to write out the buffer to the
perl prog until I HUP the syslog-ng process.  (which obviously isn't going
to help me in the long run.)

Any tips/suggestions are appreciated.

-Mahlon

--