[syslog-ng]syslog-ng vs (of all things) Win2k + IIS

matthew.copeland@honeywell.com matthew.copeland@honeywell.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 16:32:36 -0500 (CDT)

This afternoon I was in a debate with another one of the software
engineering guys here were I work.  He has made the claim that for 300
machines each logging a message at least every 10 seconds (probably more
like once every other second.)  that encapsultaing the message in an XML
tag and then sending that to a windblows 2000 box via HTTP running IIS,
where it has to process the message using a CGI or ASP script, is more
scalable than using syslog-ng, and that syslog-ng can't even handle this
load.  Now, I would beg to differ on this assesment, but I need to find
some numbers to backup my claim.  Can anyone help?  (Ohh.. and you don't
have to necessarily use an Intel box for the main server)

Matthew M. Copeland
Software Engineer
matthew.copeland@honeywell.com