[syslog-ng]PTR lookups; leak/crash fixes

A.L.Lambert alambert@epicrealm.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 15:33:51 -0500 (CDT)

> > Actually, I'm testing a linux box under almost exactly that
> > configuration, and (going to check) after about 24 hours running under
> > stress-test conditions (bout 2-4 messages a second from local, about
> > 5-10 messages a second from other machines (UDP)), I've got the
> > following:
> >
> > VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> > 1596  652 ?        S    Oct04   0:35 syslog-ng
> >
> > I haven't actually had any trouble with syslog-ng on Linux since
> > around 1.4.5 or so...  Anyhoo, YMMV I suppose.
>
> Wow, I was crashing constantly (like, every half hour) without the
> assertion fix :)
>
> Try accepting from other machines via TCP, that seems to invoke the
> strange behavior better.

	I never could get TCP syslogging to work at all close to right
with syslog-ng.  Of course I didn't try all _THAT_ hard to get it going,
and it was a few versions back when I tried... And I don't really want to
invoke any more strange behavior than I've alreday got truth be told. :)

> I'm also using chain_hostnames which might have something to do with
> it...more string ops.

	Actually, I wouldn't think that's it, since I'm using that too.
The config from my test box is below:

        long_hostnames(off);
        sync(0);
        time_reopen(10);
        log_fifo_size(1000);
        create_dirs(on);
        use_fqdn(yes);
        use_dns(no);
        chain_hostnames(yes);

	That, on a fairly severely modified ImmunixOS 6.2 base with full
errata patches in place, a PIII 500 w/ a lot of RAM, and I got 0 problems.
Going to start rotating it into heavier production use before too long, so
I might see some more "bad things" when the load goes up, but so far, it's
lookin' good. :)

> Here's my ng process:
>
> USER       PID %CPU %MEM   VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
> root     18717 27.4  4.3  6268 5572 ?        R    Oct04 642:10 syslog-ng
>
> on 333Mhz PII.  The VM use seems steady though...we'll see tomorrow.

	Good luck!

-- A.L.Lambert