[syslog-ng]PTR lookups; leak/crash fixes

A.L.Lambert alambert@epicrealm.com
Thu, 5 Oct 2000 14:32:35 -0500 (CDT)

> > I keep thinking I'm doing something wrong... I have syslog-ng running
> > on a SUN Ultra 10, and it's been running for 192 days, and I have 700
> > minutes time and 4.5M size... Of course, I only log from 6 other boxes
> > to it for now. :)
> >
> > Consider this a success story :) I have used syslog-ng to split up
> > incoming logs per facility and priority, so that if I see a message in
> > the crit file, I can go to the corresponding facility file and see if
> > there were any more message. This functionality has come in very handy
> > a few times. :)
>
> Just for kicks, try HUPping it after you changed the config file to
> write everything to a file host/program/year.month.day
>
> I bet it starts eating your CPU and RAM until your computer explodes ;)
>
> But we'll see over the next few days...also it HUPs each night when the
> rotation occurs, so perhaps that does a lot of freeing and we'll get
> some stable behavior.

	Actually, I'm testing a linux box under almost exactly that
configuration, and (going to check) after about 24 hours running under
stress-test conditions (bout 2-4 messages a second from local, about 5-10
messages a second from other machines (UDP)), I've got the following:

VSZ  RSS TTY      STAT START   TIME COMMAND
1596  652 ?        S    Oct04   0:35 syslog-ng

	I haven't actually had any trouble with syslog-ng on Linux since
around 1.4.5 or so...  Anyhoo, YMMV I suppose.

-- A.L.Lambert