[syslog-ng]umask settings?

Gregor Binder gbinder@sysfive.com
Tue, 14 Nov 2000 12:18:00 +0100

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

Balazs Scheidler on Tue, Nov 14, 2000 at 11:17:45AM +0100:

Hi,

> > now..when i start syslog-ng with umask 077, i get files generated as 06=
00
> > when i start with umask 022, i get files generated with as 0644.  i tho=
ugh
> > that perm and dir_perm were set while ignoring umask, this should be
> > noted in the documentation if it uses umask as well.
>=20
> umask is enforced by the kernel. syslog-ng doesn't use it, it simply issu=
es
> chmod(file, perm), kernel masks bits found in umask.

On which UNIX and where can I get a copy? ;)

I have only seen this type of mode enforcement on B1 systems. chmod()
calls (except symbolic ones without "ugo" specification) will actually
ignore umask settings. open() in turn, will not, and I guess that's
why we are seeing what we see :)

I'd have to look at the source, but I suspect something with the chmod
being wrong. As far as I'm concerned, perm's that were specified
explicitely should be in place regardless of the umask. I start all my
daemons with 077, just in case they dump temporary stuff (e.g. cores)
to disk that I don't want others to read, overwrite, whatever. I still
might want to create output files with permissions appropriate to
archive files or make them available for other legitimate users.

Greetings,
  Gregor.

--=20
Gregor Binder  <gbinder@sysfive.com>  http://www.sysfive.com/~gbinder/
sysfive.com GmbH             UNIX. Networking. Security. Applications.
Gaertnerstrasse 125b, 20253 Hamburg, Germany       TEL +49-40-63647482

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV

--HcAYCG3uE/tztfnV--