[syslog-ng] performance

A.L. al@9b.com
Mon, 8 May 2000 02:21:03 -0500 (CDT)

> > 	How syslog-ng deals with high-volume logging? The old syslogd is very bad
> > in this respect; if you feed it with lots of logs, the system slows down
> > horribly.
> > 	So, how does syslog-ng behaves in such cases?
>
> For me, it eats up the cpu and a lot of ram (~40M) after a week or so.
> The old syslogd didn't do that.

	I find that syslog-ng tends to eat MUCH MUCH less system
performance than syslogd, as long as I have cron restart it once a day.
This is with enough inbound logging to generate somewhere around 200 megs
a day.

-- A.L.Lambert

If what they've been doing hasn't solved the problem, tell them to do
something else.
        -- Gerald Weinberg, "The Secrets of Consulting"