[syslog-ng] weird problems logging kern.notice with syslog-ng

Robert Coli rcoli@shockwave.com
Thu, 08 Jun 2000 11:20:15 -0700

Hi.

I am running the latest syslog-ng under Solaris 2.7 and I'm having
problems getting it to do anything with messages of type "kern.notice".
Here are the relevant lines in my syslog-ng conf :

filter f_auth { facility(auth); };
filter f_kern { facility(kern); };
filter f_notice { level(notice); };

destination messages { file("/var/adm/messages"); };
destination syslog { file("/var/log/syslog"); };
destination authlog { file("/var/log/authlog"); };
destination remote { tcp("xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx" port(514) ); };

# kern.notice                           /dev/console
log {   source("system");
        filter("f_kern");
        filter("f_notice");
        destination("console");
        destination("messages");
        destination("remote");
};

# auth.notice                           /dev/console
log {   source("system");
        filter("f_auth");
        filter("f_notice");
        destination("console");
        destination("authlog");
        destination("messages");
        destination("remote");
};

---

Notice that the auth.notice and kern.notice areas are identical, except
for the f_kern vs. f_auth filters.

--
[happy] /var/adm # logger -p auth.notice AUTH NOTICE TEST #5
[happy] /var/adm # logger -p kern.notice KERN NOTICE TEST #5

Anyone have any idea why syslog-ng is picking up auth notice just fine
and not picking up kern notice?

Thanks!

-RC