[syslog-ng] message numbers

Brad Arlt arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 09:59:20 -0700

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Fri, Feb 25, 2000 at 07:51:44AM -0500, John B Batzel wrote:
> I don't know when this got added to Solaris. It exists in Solaris 7, at
> least, though I hadn't heard of it until it crossed this list. And I
> doubt it's anywhere near an FAQ. :)

It was added in Solaris 7 (as mentioned in the "Solaris 7 System
Administration Supliment").  I too had never heard of it before now,
and I am really glad I have!

> And from 'man -s7d log':
>=20
>   Driver Configuration
>      The following driver configuration properties may be defined
>      in the log.conf file.
>=20
>      msgid     If msgid=3D1, each message will  be  preceded  by  a
>                message   ID  as  described  in  syslogd(1M).   If
>                msgid=3D0, message IDs will not be  generated.  This
>                property  is  Unstable  and  may  be  removed in a
>                future release.

Since the log(7d) man page was a little hazy, I include the following
for convinience of others who want to use the msgid's.

=46rom Solaris 7 System Administration Supliment "Improved System Boot
and Error Message Format"

     Enable system message IDs by adding the following line to the
     /platform/`uname -i`/kernel/drv/log.conf file, if it exists.=20
     Otherwise, add the msgid property to the /kernel/drv/log.conf
     file.

     To enable system message IDs without rebooting the system, use the
     following adb command:

     # echo log_msgid/W1 | adb -kw

   __o		Bradley Arlt	  Email: arlt@cpsc.ucalgary.ca         o__
 _ \<_				    WWW: www.acs.ucalgary.ca/~bdarlt   _>/ _
(_)/(_)  -Eat well, sleep peacefully, drink lots, and ride like hell. (_)\(=
_)
--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH--