[syslog-ng] syslog-ng 1.4.0rc2

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 13:21:45 +0100

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've released syslog-ng version 1.4.0rc2, fixing all known bugs in previous
> > versions.
>
> bad luck, I found some probleme:
>
> this sample configuration
>
> destination all
> {
> 	file( "/tmp/messages");
> 	file(
> "/opt/syslog/var/log/syslogs/$HOST_$FACILITY_$LEVEL_$PROGRAM_$YEAR_$MONTH_$DAY");
> };
>
> generate on hostname ts ( SunOS ts 5.6 Generic_105181-19 sun4u sparc
> SUNW,Ultra-60) (those file when starting syslogd ( which dump dmsg):
>
> Hope this information help.
>
> ( I guess program macro is matched against a given field in the syslog line
> so that there is nothing to do...)

The problem basically is that Linux sysklogd sends messages without date and
host info, thus if no date is found the first word is taken as programname.
I don't think clean solution exists. I added a workaround so that when a
message from LOG_KERN arrives, it has "kernel" as programname.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt