[syslog-ng]Filter on severity range

Jon Marks j-marks@uiuc.edu
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 11:25:08 -0600

Hello,

I'm very sorry if this is answered somewhere else, or if the answer is
so obvious that it's a waste of time :) I can't see anything in the
documentation which explicitly addresses this.

I have a question about filtering on ranges of severities. A filter
such as

filter f_daemon { facility(daemon) and level(info); };

catches messages logged to the daemon facility at severity info.
It differs from the traditional behavior of syslogd in that it
doesn't catch severities beyond info, however. Is there a shorthand
way to specify a range of priorities (i.e. to achieve behavior
similar to the traditional syslogd)? Or, is it necessary to write
a filter such as the following one?

filter f_info { level(info) or level(notice) or .. or level(emerg); };
filter f_daemon { facility(daemon) and filter(f_info); };

Thank you very much.
--
Jonathan Marks

Systems Administrator, Production Systems Group
Computing and Communication Services Office