[syslog-ng]filter(DEFAULT)

jon@dumbo.pobox.com jon@dumbo.pobox.com
Wed, 13 Dec 2000 11:31:43 -0500

i think it might be a better idea to do it one of these ways:

for each match, increment a variable.

add a filter(DEFAULT=x) where that filter only matches if
the variable is set to that number(or possibly lower?) .

this allows you to write a few filter statements and say "ok
this packet should be matched by rules #1,2,3 so, the number
of matches is 3. now i set filter(DEFAULT=3) to match any
other packets"

this gives you a bit more control over it in that you can
still have multiple matches, and DEFAULT will still log some things

or...

set the default filter to include a hostname and a variable
number like above.  this way you can match against several
hosts and count the matches as described above.  this allows
for a bit more flexibility then above.  a missing hostname
could get interpreted as all hosts.  this functionality
could also be built into the functions that receive the
packets and store the "matched x times" variable"