[syslog-ng] syslog-ng and solaris doors again

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Thu, 17 Jun 1999 21:19:12 +0200

On Wed, Jun 16, 1999 at 03:21:04PM -0400, Rob Cermak wrote:

> > source sun { sun-streams /dev/log; sun-door /etc/.syslog_door; internal; };
> >

> Q.  Do you need to indicate both?  This is to cover Suns' incomplete
> coding job?

hmm... I don't know. native syslogds open both, so I assume it must have a
reason. I can exactly remember that the door stuff worked this way. For some
strange reason the syslog client NULLs out the argument, but don't ask me
why. The worst of all it is not documented anywhere, and the only solution
would be to disassemble the syslog.o member of /lib/libc.a. I tried but I am
not experienced at SPARC assembly.

> SIGHUP works.
>
> Compiled... messages are not getting through.  Still have to
> toss it into the debugger to see if messages are being passed -- or
> what the bottom error message is trying to say.
>
> This is from the command line saying that something else is
> happening that might be causing a problem.
>
> coquille{root}32: /usr/local/sbin/syslog-ng -d -v -f /etc/syslog-ng.conf
> syslog-ng version 1.1.25 starting
> do_stream_read: getmsg() failed Error 0
> SIGHUP received, restarting syslog-ng
> new configuration initialized
> do_stream_read: getmsg() failed Error 0

hmmm... this most probably means that the received log message doesn't fit
the supplied buffer. Could you provide an truss output on this one?