[syslog-ng] Re: syslog-ng 1.2.22 runtime problems

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Mon, 7 Jun 1999 09:05:54 +0200

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

cc-ing to the syslog-ng list.

> Thank you for implementing compatibility with syslog_door. I've installed
> syslog-ng files in /usr/local, but I have some problems with a few things.
>=20
> uname -a:
>=20
> SunOS logserver 5.7 Generic sun4m sparc SUNW,SPARCstation-5
>=20
> I start /usr/local/bin/syslog-ng manually. When I do so I get this error
> message:
>=20
> ld.so.1: /usr/local/bin/syslog-ng: fatal: libol.so.0: open failed: No such
> file or directory
> Killed
>=20
> I can get around this (sloppy) by:
>=20
> env LD_LIBRARY_PATH=3D/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/local/lib /usr/local/bin/syslog-=
ng

Yes, you have to either add the /usr/local/lib directory to your
/etc/ld.so.conf (at least this is the file under Linux), or set the above
environment variable.

>=20
> Then an error with parsing the configuration file occurs. I removed the
>=20
> options { sync(10) };
>=20
> line, and then syslog-ng executes without an error.

That's strange. sync options _should_ work, and work on my box without
problems. The file shipped with syslog-ng 1.1.22 is the same I test
syslog-ng with. To check what might be wrong, please ./configure syslog-ng
with the --with-debug switch, and send me the output of syslog-ng -y, which
will display yacc debug output.

>=20
> However, it doesn't seem to be doing anything.
>=20
> I do a 'truss' (like strace) to see what it's doing, and it is sleeping.
> It doesn't background itself like normal syslogd does. When I stop the
> process (control-C) it core dumps...

This may happen when configuration initialization blocks somewhere.
syslog-ng first reads and parses configuration, if this is successful, tries
to initialize it, and if this is successful too, it backgrounds itself. It
most probably blocked in the initialization phase. The truss output should
help.

>=20
> Now, from reading your web site I understand that "libol-config" is
> important in running syslog-ng, but I cannot find out how to use it.

libol-config is just a small script which makes it easy for syslog-ng to
find libol header files and libraries. It is only meant for development
(e.g. programs using libol)

>=20
> Perhaps you could begin a document on your web site which explains how to
> get the daemon running. I have a minimal configuration file which is from=
=20
> the src/ directory in your 1.2.22 distribution. It looks like this:
>=20
>   options { sync(10); };
>   source src { udp 0.0.0.0,1999; sun-door /etc/.syslog-door; internal; };
>   destination everything { file /dev/tty10 sync(2); usertty root; };
>   log { source src; destination everything; };
>=20
> Unchanged, this configuration file is not parsed correctly by syslog-ng. I
> deleted the first line and removed sync(2) from 'destination everything'
> and that did not work, either. Then I deleted 'source src' altogether and
> syslog-ng went into sleep mode.
>=20
> I do not know what I am supposed to be doing :) Can you help?

First of all I think /dev/tty10 does not exist under Solaris. Under linux
this means the 10th virtual terminal on the console. I don't have any other
idea, so please send me the truss output, and the yacc debug messages I
mentioned earlier.

--=20
Bazsi
PGP key: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt, or finger bazsi@balabit.hu