[syslog-ng] suggestion: format of logline

Bjorn Andersson ban@lifix.fi
Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:31:18 +0300

Here is a feature that I have been missing from other syslog
programs as well as syslog-ng:

I would like to give as an option the format of the logline.
It would, for instance, be nice to see the priority and facilty of
the logline in the log. This way I would not need to have a lot of
logfiles just so that that I afterwards could find out the priority
and facility. This would also give me the possibility not to write
out the host information, as this information is redundant if I
only have a single host or if each host has its own directory of
logfiles. Here's an example of such a line:

Jul 27 04:53:10 daemon  notice  proftpd[7423]: FTP session closed.

The configuration option could be something like:

log_format("%m %d %t %f %l %m");

where
%m = month
%d = day
%t = time
%f = facility
%l = level
%m = message

Please send any comments to me as well as the mailinglist.

Regards,
Björn

--
Björn Andersson <bjorn@lifix.fi>