[syslog-ng] Re: bug?

Balazs Scheidler bazsi@balabit.hu
Sun, 18 Jul 1999 14:55:43 +0200

> On Wed, Jul 14, 1999 at 10:15:06AM -0700, joeym@inficad.com wrote:
> > Sorry to bother you again, but I have noticed some strange behavior when
> > logging over TCP.
> >
> > Client Machine is BSDI 4.0 running syslog-ng.  'Server' machine is
> > FreeBSD 3.2-STABLE running syslog-ng and receiving UDP, TCP, and local
> > syslog msgs.  When the client machine sends messages via UDP back to the
> > server machine, the server machine sees the tag as the correct hostname.
> > When the messages are sent from the client -> server via TCP, then the
> > server marks those messages as coming from its own hostname, and not the
> > client's hostname.
> >
> > Also, I noticed that sending SIGHUP to syslog-ng on the BSDI client
> > machine causes this message (in debug mode) to be sent :
> > new configuration initialized
> > io_iter(): no waiting fds and no callouts! exiting...
> >
> > and then it exits..  If i SIGHUP syslog-ng on the 'server' machine, it
> > reloads its config and moves happily on.

I tried to reproduce both problems but without success. Could you provide the
config files for both hosts?

The same code generates hostnames for UDP and TCP connections, and it works
for me, although I am only able to test it on the loopback interface, since
my Linux box is not connected to network.

     url: http://www.balabit.hu/pgpkey.txt